The Confederated Tribes Of The Colville Reservation
Frequently Asked Questions
  1. Who can enroll into the Confederated Tribes of the Colville Reservation?
    1. In order to be eligible for enrollment the applicant must possess at least one-fourth (1/4) degree of the blood of the tribes which constitute the Colville Tribes.
  1. What is required, by the applicant, to complete the enrollment process?
    1. Enrollment application
    2. Original State Certified Birth Certificate
    3. DNA results
  1. Can photocopies of the supporting documents be sent in with application?
    1. Photocopies and/or hospital records are not accepted as supporting documents to complete the enrollment packet
    2. Original certified documents must accompany the enrollment packet in order for the packet to be complete.
  1. What is the process for enrollment?
    1. Submit a complete application
    2. Enrollment conducts a family history research
    3. Enrollment Officer reviews application and all supporting documents presented to make recommendation to the Tribal Government Committee and Business Council
      1. Enrollment is by automatic or adoption
    4. Tribal Government Committee approves or denies recommendation of application
      1. Automatic enrollment only requires approval from Tribal Government Committee
      2. Adoption requires approval from Tribal Government Committee and full Business Council during Special Session
    5. Applicant receives a letter with committee’s decision
      1. Original supporting documents are returned along with the letter.
  1. When does each Committee meet?
    1. Tribal Government Committee meets every 2ndand 4thThursday of each month
      1. Exceptions: Regular meetings which are held on the 2ndThursday of January, April, July, and October (per the Constitution)
    2. Special Session meets every 1stand 3rdThursday of each month
  1. What is the difference between Automatic Enrollment and Adoption?
    1. Residency and timelines determines type of enrollment
      1. Automatic –
        1. Requires approval by Tribal Government Committee
        2. Applicants resided within the reservation boundaries at time of birth
        3. Applicant did not live within the reservation boundaries at the time of birth the application must be received by enrollment within six (6) months from the time of birth
      2. Adoption –
        1. Requires approval by Tribal Government Committee and Special Session
        2. Applicant did not reside within the reservation boundaries at time of birth
        3. Applicant applied for membership six (6) months or more after time of birth
        4. Adoptions must have majority (2/3) vote in order to pass
        5. Adoptions shall be granted or denied at the absolute discretion of the Tribes and is not a right.
        6. Denied adoption cases must wait three (3) years to re-apply.
      3. Automatic and Adoption requires ¼ blood quantum of the tribes which constitute the Colville Tribes.
  1. Is there a difference in tribal rights or benefits between automatic and adoption?
    1. No, once enrolled every member has full rights and benefits.
  1. How can I, as an adult, relinquish from the Colville tribes?       
    1. Submit a completed Relinquishment Affidavit with the Enrollment Department.
      1. All tribal identification must be returned along with your application
    2. The Enrollment department verifies to ensure no debts are owed to the Colville Tribe
    3. The Enrollment Officer reviews the affidavit and makes recommendation to the Tribal Government Committee
    4. The Tribal Government Committee can either accept or deny relinquishment
    5. If approved, a resolution is forwarded to the Applicant and Tribe if applying for membership with another Tribe.
    6. If relinquishment is denied, a letter and tribal id shall be return.
    7. Please be advised---Relinquishment is immediate and cannot be reversed
      1. It is important to make sure you are eligible for enrollment into the other Tribe prior to requesting relinquishment from the Colville Tribe.
  1. Can minor children relinquish?
    1. Yes, the custodial parent or legal guardian has the right to relinquish a minor child
      1. Tribal member parent must sign relinquishment form
    2. Verification of legal custody must accompany relinquishment form
  1. Can I re-enroll with the Colville Tribe?
    1. Adults who relinquish are not eligible for re-enrollment
    2. Minors who were relinquished are eligible for re-enrollment once the minor reaches the age of 18
  1. Is dual enrollment accepted by the confederated tribes of the Colville reservation?
    1. No, dual enrollment is not accepted.
    2. If dual enrollment is confirmed, the member will be given the option to remain enrolled or relinquish, according to the process.
    3. The member will be allowed to address the issue with the Tribal Government Committee.
  1. What is the process for requesting a blood correction?
    1. Schedule appointment with the Enrollment Officer to review family history
    2. Submit completed packet to Colville Tribal Court
      1. Request Enrollment to be served
    3. Enrollment Officer reviews and researches packet
    4. Copy of packet is forwarded to Attorney
    5. Court process is followed
      1. Hearings are scheduled
    6. If approved, Court Order is signed
    7. If denied, Petitioner has option to continue through the Court of Appeals process
  1. Does each family member apply for a blood correction?
    1. No, once a blood correction is approved, lineal descendants blood quantum will be updated
  1. How do I get a new Tribal Identification Card?
    1. Cost of Tribal Id Cards are $5.00 per card
      1. Money order or cashier’s check is the only form of payment accepted. 
    2. To receive a card you must visit the office to allow enrollment to take a current picture and obtain your signature
    3. If a current picture and signature is on file – enrollment can mail the card to the address on file.
      1. A request form must be completed
      2. Another person can receive a card for you by submitting a  release of authorization form
  1. Can I send a picture and signature for my ID card?
    1. No, mailed pictures and signatures are not accepted.
  1. What is a CIB?
    1. CIB is a Certificate of Indian Blood
    2. CIB is a paper copy of enrollment verification
    3. A cib can be processed without a picture and signature
  1. What is a dividend letter?
    1. Provides payment information for previous payments.
    2. A request form must be submitted in order to receive a letter
    3. If requesting for a minor—
      1. Custodial parent or guardian may request a letter
  1. How do I get a Family History Chart?
    1. By simply completing a request form and submitting to Enrollment
  1. How do I change my address?
    1. In order to change an address, the change form must be completed and notarized. 
    2. If the form is not notarized, the request to change address will not be processed.
  1. When I change my address with Enrollment, does that change at each tribal department?
    1. The change of address will be forwarded to the following departments:
      1. Tribal Tribune                         iv.
      2. Elections
      3. BIA/OST
  2. Does the Enrollment department conduct DNA testing?
    1. Yes, buccal swab is the type of sample collected by the enrollment department.
      1. Buccal swab is the collection by swabbing the inner facial cheek with a sterile swab.
    2. The collection process takes approximately 30 minutes.
    3. Results are received within two (2) weeks
    4. An appointment is requested in order to conduct DNA testing
    5. Kinship testing is available
      1. Kinship testing occurs if the biological parent is not available
  1. Who pays for DNA testing?
    1. The cost is the responsibility of the individuals being tested
    2. Payment is accepted by money order or cashier’s check
      1. Payable to: Labcorp of America
  1. Why is DNA a requirement?
    1. To ensure each enrollment record is true and correct
    2. To prevent fraudulent enrollments
  1. Who must be tested?
    1. Each parent who contributes Colville blood
      1. Mother
      2. Child
      3. Father (alleged)
  1. Are there different types of tribal payments?
    1. Yes, Per Capita, 181-D Grand Coulee Dam Settlement (Claims), and Settlement payments.
  1. Are tribal payments taxable or considered as income?
    1. The Per Capita and 181-D payments disbursed by the tribe are non-taxable and cannot be counted as income.
    2. Most payments are considered trust income.
    3. Settlement payments are treated differently
      1. Depending upon the type of settlement, payments could be taxable income.
  1. What documentation is needed to prevent tribal disbursements from being counted as income?
    1. Two options
      1. Contact the Enrollment department and request the information stating such;
      2. Follow link to download the standard letter
  1. Are Per Capita payments automatically disbursed on an annual basis?
    1. No, Per Capita payments are determined on an annual basis.
      1. The Colville Business Council determines per capita payments.
  1. Can someone else pick up my check?
    1. Unfortunately no one else can receive anyone else’s check
    2. Only the tribal member named on the check can receive the check
  1. Does Enrollment offer Direct Deposit?
    1. Yes, complete the Direct Deposit Form and submit to the Enrollment Office
      1. Forms are available at the Enrollment department or website
        1. http://www.colvilletribes.com/enrollment.php
    2. Direct deposit forms must be notarized in order to process
  1. How do I stop direct deposit?
    1. If banking information changes, Enrollment must be notified by a notarized written statement
    2. Please note: Changing your address does not automatically stop direct deposit.
      1. You must specifically state you request to stop direct deposit
  1. What happens if I did not notify Enrollment when my banking information changed?
    1. Once the direct deposit is returned a check will be processed.
      1. Please make sure correct address is on file.
  1. What happens if I did not receive my check?
    1. Contact Enrollment to place a stop payment on the original check
    2. An Affidavit must be completed in order to begin the process of reissuing a check
    3. Enrollment can process a reissued check two weeks after the payment date
  1. What do I do if I receive the original check after receiving the reissued check?
    1. The original check must be returned to the Enrollment department
    2. A stop payment order is issued when the check is reissued.
      1. Check is invalid
  1. What happens if my check is forged?
    1. Notify the Enrollment department
    2. Complete the forgery packet
      1. Once the forgery packet is completed the packet is sent to the financial institute for investigation
    3. A check cannot be processed until the investigation is complete
  1. Can parents receive minor children’s payment?
    1. The custodial parent or legal guardian receives Per Capita Payments
    2. Custodial or legal guardians can request to receive half of the minor’s 181-D payment.
    3. Please note-Tribal Departments are authorized to override request if proper documentation is in place. If this is the case, payments will not be released but placed in minor child’s IIM account
  1. Who manages the IIM Account?
    1. Office of Special Trustee (OST) manages all IIM accounts.
    2. BIA supervises
  1. When can minors access their IIM accounts?
    1. Minors can begin access their IIM accounts when the following criteria is met:
      1. Must be 18 years of age
      2. Must provide diploma or GED certificate
      3. Complete OST application packet and submit to OST Offices.
  1. Can I place all payments into my minor child (ren) IIM account?
    1. Yes, custodial parent or guardian can request to deposit all payments into minor’s account
    2. Enrollment department will only accept a notarized letter signed by the custodial parent or guardian
  1. Can money be withdrawn from a minors IIM account?
    1. Only under certain circumstances
    2. Contact Social Services and OST for further information
  1. Will the custodial parent receive statements for the minor IIM accounts?
    1.  Yes, the custodial parent/guardian receives statements from the Office of Special Trustee (OST).  The statements will show the account balance and interest.  If statements are not received, please contact the OST office to update contact information.
  1. What happens to minors whose payments are held by a tribal department or Court Order?
    1. Whenever a minor’s payment is held, the payment is directly placed into the minors IIM account.
    2. Held payments remain in the minor’s IIM account unless the hold is in error.
      1. If this is the case, Social Services must be contacted within a certain timeframe to release the funds
  1. What is the time frame to request a minor’s payment held in error?
    1. The time frame is three (3) days after the payment date.
  1. How do I request my minor’s payment that was held in error?
    1. Contact the Enrollment department to verify the minor was not on a hold list.
    2. If a court order releases funds, make sure Enrollment and tribal departments (if applicable) has a copy of order
    3. Contact Social Services to verify if eligible to request funds and to receive packet
  2. When can I expect to receive the payment for error of the minor error?
    1. If payment is allowed, payment can be processed within two weeks of request, provide proper paperwork is completed.
  1. What happens when a change in custody occurs?
    1. A Court Order is the only document accepted to change custody of a minor
  1. What happens to the minor’s IIM account if minor is relinquished?
    1. Once a minor is relinquished all payments discontinue.
    2. The minor’s account remains in trust until the minor meets requirements to receive the funds.
  2. Why do I receive 1099’s for my minor’s IIM account?
    1. Even though the payments are derived from trust income, the interest earned is considered taxable.
  1. Wake and Burial Benefits
    1. Please contact Enrollment department to assist with the process.
    2. Benefits are provide for Tribal members, 1stline descendants, and spouse of a tribal member
      1. Wake grants are payable to the Next-of-Kin or designee
      2. Burial grants are paid directly to the Funeral Home
      3. Tribal Members receive the following benefits:
        1. $800 Wake grant
        2. $3000 burial grant
          1. Paid directly to the Funeral Home
        3. Pendleton blanket
  1. 1stline descendant or spouse of a tribal member
    1. $800 Wake grant
    2. $500 Burial grant
    3. Pendleton Blanket is available for purchase
  1. Other services available
    1. Casket and liner
      1. Cost of casket and liner are subtracted from burial grant
      2. Balance of grant is applied to funeral expenses
    2. Funeral/Memorial cards
      1. Service provided by the IT or Planning department
        1. Free of charge for Tribal members
    3. Public Works
      1. Assistance with gravesite
    4. Veteran’s Assistance
      1. Provides Military services
    5. Social Services
      1. Travel assistance to attend services
      2. Loan program if funds are available
  2. Fish & Wildlife
    1. Can provide assistance for hunting and fishing
  3. Food Distribution
    1. Provides a basic food package to assist with services
  1. What is a descendant letter?
    1. A descendant letter provides proof an individual descends from an enrolled tribal member
      1. The biological parent must posses the blood quantum of 1/4 or more.
    2. The following must be provided:
      1. Request form
      2. Original State Certified Birth Certificate
      3. Money Order in the amount of $30